Monday 5 March 2012

Totally Unscientific Photography Experiment

I can easily tell you all about killah-giga-watt CPU's and USB/ABC/XYZ ports, but I know very little about photography and camera settings. Thus, I present to you, my learned friends, the photography experiment!

I unscientifically pointed my camera out of the back window (because it was cold outside) and initially set it for a 2 sec exposure with the ISO set at 100. I then, for the next photo increased the ISO to 200 and so on up to 1600. Then, for the next set I increased the exposure time to 10 sec (with 100 ISO, 200 ISO, etc.) and the same for 20 sec and 30 sec exposures.

What I then did was crop each photo (around the same area) and put them in strips. Behold!






Like I say, totally unscientific, but it was just to let me see how exposure/ISO changes affect the resulting image. One thing you can't really see in the small image above is that the higher the ISO the more noise it seemed to introduce. But that could be rectified with stacking I suppose.

Top left (2 sec @ 100 ISO) is pretty much what it was like outside to the naked eye. Top right (2 sec @ 1600) is what you could see with the naked eye when accustomed to the dark. The other photos are camera magic which show things that the naked eye couldn't even see!

Call the high-brow literature I wish to collect my Nobel peace prize...

No comments:

Post a Comment