Saturday 17 March 2012

OMG! Some decent weather!

Since the sun was peeking out from some sparse clouds I decided to construct my solar filter. Every care should be made when making a solar filter. Great skill and passion went into making this technical feat of homemade ingenuity...


OK, so, it might have a rough edge here or there, but it works! Doesn't help that the sun is, at the moment, coming into view behind a whopping great tree then setting behind some houses, so there's not much space for taking photos, but I'll get some.

Even while the sun was setting good ol' Jupiter and Venus were showing. I managed to get some OK shots of Jupiter afcoally with my digital camera:



I doubt (Sir) Patrick Moore would wet himself over my photos, but I'm pretty chuffed with them.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I was just casually checking out your website for your latest artwork and I noticed that you're now an OU Student and are into astronomy.
    And I was just looking into astronomical scopes last year too! At the time, I couldn't afford it and was using my birding scope instead! [Still can't :( ]
    You should get yourself a copy of the program Sky X, that gives you a computerised local map of the night sky (give me a shout if you need to), I think its great.
    And as the Vice President of The Galilean Society I'd be remiss not to plug our lectures in the Mitchell Library, www.galileosoc.co.uk, and yes Ronnie I did design the website before you say anything!!
    Catch you later,
    Ian.

    ReplyDelete