Saturday 18 February 2012

Jupiter and Pleiades

First clear sky in about three nights. Time to test the Xbox Live Cam.

Most folks on the SGL Forum are butchering their cameras to (purposely!) break the green LED's inside then gluing a piece of pipe to the cam so that it can be inserted into the eyepiece of the scope. I'm going the less destructive route first. For a change. I'm keeping it intact and using some blu-tac to put a piece of pipe around the cam. I'm also keeping the adjustable lens in it. Basically if, after a while, I can't get anything good out of it then I'll butcher it to hell.  :)

Jupiter looked awesome tonight. The bands of colour were just visible, but the four moons stood out really well! Hopefully a couple of Xbox Cam videos will produce some sort of image I can post.

One image I can post if of a star cluster I found by accident. Pleiades!


Was scanning the sky after looking at Jupiter and came across a big group of stars. Took a while to get my head around their placement (remember: everything in the scope is flipped horizontally and vertically!) but using Kstars (on my old laptop) I managed to place the stars as Pleiades (NGC 1432). The photo was taken using my digital camera held to the 25mm eyepiece with a high ISO (800, I think).

Anyway, time to process those videos of Jupiter...

No comments:

Post a Comment