Thursday 1 November 2012

It's been a while...

Winter is definitely here, so here's hoping for some good Moon sightings!

Since I last posted here I've bought a proper camera, a Nikon D3100 DSLR with remote shutter activation and a t-ring adapter. The adapter lets me put the DSLR (with the lens taken off) where the eyepiece would normally go. This means I can take stable photos, but at the expense of zooming in. Since there's no eye piece, nor lens on the camera, it means I'm pretty far away from the subject. Fear not, I'm working on cobbling something together.

The main problem with using the DSLR and an eyepiece is that the camera sensor is a short distance away from the eyepiece so what may be a good focus for the eye (against the eyepiece) is no good for the sensor. Tweaking the focus is, of course, possible but sometimes the eyepiece is just not suitable for the sensor/distance. My latest botch is to slide the extended part of the telescope in/out to get focus. It's not ideal. Sometimes it'll look sharp as a pin on the DSLR screen, but on viewing the photo it'll be blurred.

Oh well, trial and (lots of) error(s).

Here are some recent photos of the full moon we had the other night. These were taken with the DSLR held against the 15mm eyepiece with the above botched method.









No comments:

Post a Comment